- With the Solon Public Library.
- Director Kris Brown worked with local donors to purchase multiple copies of the award-winning nonfiction book. This book club collection will be shared with other Iowa communities in the future.
- With teachers.
- A & P teacher, Dawn Posekany and I have been talking about Rebecca Skloots powerful story since we first read it a couple of years ago. We felt that a deep reading of the text would offer insights into many complex issues that would stretch the critical thinking skills of her students. This semester, Jim Erickson, Language Arts teacher, offered to team up with us to create a meaningful framework for developing questions and for helping the students prepare for facilitating group discussions.
- With the community.
- Local residents are invited to attend a discussion this Thursday March 1. A casual "bring your own lunch"starting at 11:30 a.m. will be followed by group discussions led by student teams divided into 4 topics: science, ethics/philosophy, race and journalism/literary structure.
- With quality support materials.
- In preparation for the discussion, students will locate, read and summarize outside research relating to their group focus. They will use subscription databases such as those provided by Grant Wood AEA and Iowa AEA Online and other resources that have been critically evaluated for scholarly use.